How much do You know about the Finnish artist Jiri Geller (1970)? We invited him to answer our “Daily Dozen” questions, so now we know almost all his mundande secrets. How much he sleeps, what he eats and why he is an artist.
Sugar Happy. 2012. Painted fiberglass, steel. 29 x 29 x 79 cm. Edition of 3 + 1 AP
1. What’s the best moment of your day?
Whenever but morning.
2. Why do you work as an artist?
I wanted to have an indoor job, also because of my mortgage.
3. What films, concerts, exhibits, or books have left a lasting impression on you?
As a kid I had a book of H. R. Giger. I remember being impressed by his sculptures even more than his paintings. That book was my door to sculpture for my Iron Maiden and Motörhead imagery contaminated mind.
4. Where do you currently get ideas for your works?
Ideas are like assholes, everybody has one.
5. Which work(s) of art would you like to have in your possession?
6. What do you do when you’re not occupied with art?
7. Do you sleep a lot?
As much as possible.
8. Do you collect anything?
Tribal rugs, old 70´s & 80´s race bicycles.
9. What is one of the most important things in your studio?
It is indoors.
10. What do you like to eat, and what don’t you like?
I am omnivorous.
11. When you were a kid, what did you want to be?
12. Name three creative individuals, from any era, with whom you’d gladly spend an evening.
Jesus, Hitler, Einstein.